<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Musical Vacation for an Insomniac 

In many ways, this blog is one of gratitude. It's the place where I record many of the things that brighten my life - some greater and some smaller. Tonight, despite a long day I find myself struggling with a rare bout of insomnia.

Insomnia is occasionally quite useful. Tonight it allowed me to take care of something I promised to do for to an up and coming young singer/songwriter. That took some time (finding CDs, ripping files) and I find that I am still somewhat awake.

Given the circumstances, I am turning to a musical vacation of sorts. Where am I going, you ask? Here's the soundrack for some pre-sleep relaxation.

Resphighi - Pines of the Janiculum from the Pines of Rome
(Favorite recording: Arturo Toscanini and the NBC Orchestra)
I picture myself in a breezy stand of pines looking off from promontory above an ancient city. I breathe in. I think I can feel the browning needles cushion my feet as you wander towards the precipice for a better view.

Mozart - Concerto in A for Clarinet and Orchestra (2nd mvmt)
(Favorite recording: CBS Masterworks, George Szell conducts w/Marcellus on Clarinet)
All thoughts stop and I follow the melody played by the clarinet.

Bach - Concerto for Violin and Obio - Adagio
(Favorite recording: believe it or not...an album titles "Greatest Hits of 1720")
The world is moving on its axis like clockwork. I examine the parts of my memory that bring a soft smile.

I am grateful for the tremendous sense of peace that each of these recordings brings to me. They are a free vacation from our troubled little orb.

3 comments
Comments:
I do not wish insomnia on you, TF, but thank YOU for the link to Megan Slankard...very, very cool.

I think we are all becoming sleepless and keyed up as the countdown progresses (baseball...election...take your pick).

I'm going to definitely check out your suggestions as I love the violin and so rarely get to hear Marcellus on the clarinet. I need to get a record player so I can feast on the the huge classical collection they left behind in this old stuffed house. Please bring the DW over and we can all lay on the floors with our eyes closed and just breathe...
 
sign me, jm over on houseinprogress
 
A little more information on the recordings.

The Resphigi recording is this one: http://tinyurl.com/4l7ms

The Mozart recording is very hard to find now. It was originally issues on compact disc as part of the CBS Great Performances series (#78). It has George Szell conducting the Cleveland Orchestra with Robert Marcellus on clarinet. It also contains the Mozart sinfonia concertante in E-flat major for violin, viola & orchestra.

The Greatest Hits of 1720 album is also hard to find, but easier than the Mozart recording. This is what it looks like: http://tinyurl.com/4a6q4

If you're desperate, let me know and I'll burn them.

Thanks for reading. LOVED your broken dryer post on H-I-P!
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?