<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Cool Hunting, Part Deux 

The cool hunting post continues to generate conversation. Folks keep telling me that they didn't know about any of those sites and that they're following them now. Which is great since that's part of the purpose of this blog to begin with.

I thought it might be nice to share a couple more sites and also share some of my favorite finds from cool hunting sites.

design*sponge
Grace Bonney curates this site. There are a few things about it I particulary love. One is the sheer volume of posting she does. I know that it overlaps with her job in PR, but seriously, Grace posts at a pretty prodigous rate. Secondly, I like really her design sensibility. Most of the stuff she likes I relate to, even if I don't absolutely have to own it. Finally, I like the focus. Many sites try to scan a large variety of cool. Design*Sponge is very much focused on home furnishings.

Uncrate
Uncrate is focused on stuff for guys. As we all know, this is not really my nice and I have several complaints about Uncrate. Firstly, it's guy stuff. (Duh.) Secondly, it's got too much automotive going on for my taste. (Duh, again.) Last, but perhaps most importantly it is both behind the times (the Voodoo Knife Holder was on other sites six months ago) and often banal. To wit, they're flogging a new POLO fragrance. Look, I dig fragrances a lot. Can't you find me something unusual? Like a verbena fragrance that lasts for more than an hour?? That's what I really need.

Now on to my three favorite buys thus far that I discovered from surfing cool hunting sites:

Branie Belt
I designed a black one with silver buckle and orange dot. If you know me, you've seen it.

Transit Tote
Medium Design Group's "Transit Tote" is my daily go-to-work/laptop bag.

Welsh Dragon T
For those of you who made the August bash, I was stylin' in Bread of Heaven's short sleeve red T with black dragon. I've got the black longsleeve version queued up for fall, too.

Tomorrow, we take off to Bar Harbor until Wednesday and then we'll be in Toronto for the Toronto Film Festival with the usual suspects. I've got some blog content in progress, so I'll try to knock one out next Wednesday. The week of the 12th, we'll do the Toronto roundup.

In advance, I will note that Toronto's ticket buying process is really dreadfully organized, especially for us out of towners. There are no clear instructions online as to how to get your tickets if you don't live in Toronto. You'd think they'd have more pity on those traveling and make the process easier to understand. Anyway, please keep your fingers crossed for us that this all comes together.
1 comments
Comments:
FROM THE NYT

Design bloggers may be attracting a following, but as a rule they don't work overtime to verify the news and information they post. Rumors and innuendo are rife. And bloggers are generally less inclined than conventional journalists to avoid conflicts of interest.

For example, Grace Bonney, 23, works for a public relations firm that represents Vitra and other design outfits, and she acknowledged that she writes about some of her clients' products on her blog, Design Sponge (designsponge.blogspot.com), without disclosing that she is paid to promote them.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?